Monday, July 16, 2012

Surgery Part 1


I read somewhere once that writing is like surgery, but I think they meant revising is like surgery.
My post about my Revision Plan was very broad; it didn't include the steps I would take to actually revise it. I'm kind of playing it by ear, charting the land as I get to it. I have a couple of steps in my head so I'll know where to go next, but I'm not quite sure beyond that. Right now I'm in between Steps 1 and 2.
Because I didn't quite know what I was doing when I started this novel and because I started it so long ago, I'm starting out with, so to say, mapping out my novel into parts. I would do scenes, but I didn't necessarily plan it in scenes so the lines are fuzzy. I've picked up my scalpel and sliced where I thought necessary, cutting my novel into 106 parts. 
Now I'm going to go through and make notes on each individual part, decide what I think should be rewritten/deleted/etc. I've already labeled 78 pages of cancerous writing. The tumor. I'm thinking that it will all have to go and be replaced with viable parts.
So that's what I'm doing now. I'll let you know how that works out for me when I get to the next step. This is all new for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!